So you say you’re tired of playing your PS4 while using the horrible audio from your television speakers? You want to become involved in the on-line RPG or real time world of gaming? You’d like to play alongside your friends while not actually being alongside your friends in a virtual world? If you answered “yes” to one or more of the above questions, then it’s time to locate the best PS4 headset that meets your specific needs and budget.
There are a large number of headsets on the market and they offer an even larger number of options. Some headsets offer surround sound, separate chat and volume control, completely wireless capabilities, detachable mics, and various forms of comfort options. With so many options to consider, please allow this competitive buyers guide to assist you in your search for the best gaming headset for PS4.
Things to Consider for PS4 Headsets
- 7.1 Surround Sound. Headsets equipped with this do just what the feature claims…they surround (or immerse, if you prefer) you in sound, or, since you’re wearing headphones, they make it appear as if you’re surrounded by sound. But, as they say, perception is reality and the reality is that 7.1 surround sound permits you to hear things (footsteps, the chambering of a round, or the singing of a wood nymph) you might not otherwise hear without it.
- Totally Wireless. Like, totally. No wires running to the game console OR the game controller. They operate along the same lines as a wireless mouse or keyboard…utilizing USB technology. So get up and wander around the room (while keeping the screen in view, of course) as you kick virtual ass. One caveat to mention, however…batteries!
- Price. Depending on your income and aspirations, perhaps this “thing to consider” should be listed first. The prices for these sound emitting earmuffs can range from a couple hundred dollars (for those lucky enough to earn a living as a gamer, or those who aspire to this lofty goal), to a couple dozen dollars (for the more, shall we say, casual gamer out there). Obviously, the higher the price, the more bells and whistles included with your headset…duh!
Top 10 PS4 Headsets Overview Chart
Benefits of PS4 Headsets
Does any true gamer really need to ponder this question? The benefits of any gaming headset, let alone the best PS4 headset, is improved sound quality to further immerse yourself in the waters of the gaming world…period. Whether you’re running down random pedestrians, taking on the Joker, or on your way to Mordor, your game’s audio can be almost as important as its visuals.
With a PS4 headset upgrade, now you can potentially go wireless, be surrounded by walls of sound, cancel out the frantic cries of family members with noise isolating ear cups, and play for hours or days in blissful headset comfort. Oh yeah, it might also render many an enemy’s ambush ineffective as you’ll now be able to hear those subtle, telltale, ambush setting sounds, such as the breaking of a twig, hushed whispers, or a knife being pulled from its scabbard.
Here are a couple more potential benefits to a PS4 headset upgrade:
- Greater Gaming Enjoyment. And isn’t that what gaming is all about…enjoyment? It’s a well-earned distraction from our normal, dreary, work-a-day lives. So why not enjoy your chosen distraction as much as possible? And with the affordability of some of these headsets, you won’t go broke attaining that higher level of enjoyment.
- Greater Comfort. These headsets come with cushy, ergonomically designed…er, designs which cradle your head and ears in lightweight marshmallows that emit booming bass, clear mids, and screeching highs (just don’t try to eat it). In fact, if you purchase a wireless model, you just might head to work or school with the headset still sitting atop your cranium.
- Greater Domination. For certain games, better sound quality is critically linked to your gaming goals, which is usually the crushing defeat of your enemies. A headset upgrade should facilitate that crushing as you’re able to hear things you might otherwise not hear with a substandard or outdated headset, especially if it supports 7.1 surround sound.
5 Best PS4 Headset Reviews
Ranked the best gaming headset for PS4, this sublimely comfortable headset, with an aluminum chassis for durability and decreased weight, features noise canceling ear cups, your choice of memory foam or velour ear pads, a detachable mic, and 53 mm drivers. It also comes with the required cable splitter for the PS4 and a two meter audio cable extension, as well as an in-line sound control box with volume control and a multi-function button.
The speakers are HiFi capable which ensures that rich, quality sound passes through your ears and fully connects you with your virtual gaming world as you play through the night and welcome a new day. It also arrives with an airplane adapter, for those long, cross country flights, and a mesh traveling bag to store your audio gear on said airplane.
To sum up: if you’re in the market for an affordable PS4 headset, then the Cloud delivers everything you might need; comfort, harmonious sound transfer, and all at a very reasonable price. Who could ask for more?
First off, let’s get the “Kral” thing out of the way. According to the company, it roughly translates into “the king,” and the Afterglow certainly is headset nobility. If you’re the type of gamer that likes to wander around the room, then the Afterglow’s wireless capabilities give you 100 feet to work with and its rechargeable lithium batteries allow you to wander for ten hours before a recharge.
This headset’s glow will warm your heart as its exceptional sound quality, driven by 50 mm speakers, massages your brain with explosions of joy, shouts of happiness, and the death throes of your enemies (insert evil laugh here). It also features audio monitoring (so you can hear your own melodious voice), noise cancelling ear cups with thick cushions, a retractable boom mic, and a master volume control located on the ear cup.
The Afterglow lights up the darkness in the PS4 headset world with its affordability and high quality sound reproduction. Bathe the room in your glow as you vanquish your enemies.
This headset can’t even be referred to as “cans” as it looks more like some kind of sleek, futuristic communication system than a pair of cans attached to your ears. It sports a concealed, noise canceling mic that adds to its space-age design and removable, customizable faceplates that adds to its sheer hipness (yes, hipness). And since it’s produce by Microsoft, it allows you to download a companion headset app to gain access to custom game modes.
Its best feature, however, is its 7.1 virtual surround sound that permits you to hear commands from your team’s weapons whisperer (aka quiet weapons expert) as well as rock out with the thumping bass produced as your foes are consumed in a hail of shrapnel and fire (insert yet another evil laugh here). The PS Gold also grants you greater freedom of movement with its wireless capabilities which comes in handy when you leap for joy after a glorious victory.
Let everyone fear your greatness as you don these cool cans…oops, forgot, this cool, streamlined headset, and prepare for total gaming domination.
This wired headset offers exceptional sound quality on all frequencies and does so while ensconcing its wearer in heavenly comfort due to its over-the-ear design with cushy, yet firm (no, not backside) ear cups and adjustable headband. You might even keep it strapped to your head in winter…you know, as ear muffs, it’s that comfortable.
Aside from its superb sound, it also features an in-line control box with a mute switch, volume control wheel, and call/pickup/tracking button. The ASTRO’s mic is both detachable and swappable (didn’t know that was a word ‘til just now) for those deviants that prefer the mic on the “other” side. It also arrives with a variety of cables, to include the 3.5 mm, splitter, and mobile types. Oh yeah, it permits you to change out the faceplate tags to show the gaming world what you’re into at any given moment.
A bit more expensive than other headsets in the top ten, this headset still delivers what it promises, and that’s superior sound quality and an exceedingly comfortable fit.
This headset proves you can have the best of both worlds; quality and affordability. The P12’s 50 mm drivers and mesh ear cushions (no embarrassing ear sweat here) swaddle your ears with the melodious sounds of battle, squealing tires, and screams of the injured and dying (yes, insert another evil laugh). As for its mic, it is of the flexible and boom variety and also comes with a mic monitor so that you can listen to your own dulcet tones.
Its in-line controller puts bass boost, master volume and mic mute all at your fingertips, and its digital game and chat capabilities assists you in becoming fully immersed in the gaming experience even if its sound quality isn’t quite up to par with others on this list.
Bottom line: while not the best PS4 headset available, this headset won’t send you to the poorhouse and it delivers more than adequate sound quality for the price.